2/28/10

Let them eat CAKE!

Four different kinds of Cake, while we're at it.

This cake tasting has so far been my favorite vendor meeting. My mom and I met Olivia and Aunt Sandy at Adelaide's Bakery in Glendora, NJ.


We met with Stefanie the shop owner and head pastry chef and sugar artist. She's maybe only a little older then me. She's owned the shop for a little over 3 years, and my aunt drilled her with questions and advice for Olivia about schools and experience. She sat us down at a little table and brought out 2 huge trays one was all different cake options and the other had little cups of fillings and frostings.
This is what we tasted:
  • Plain Pound Cake, Lemon Pound Cake, Raspberry Pound Cake, Raspberry/Lemon Pound cake, Chocolate chip pound cake, Chocolate chiffon Cake, Vanilla Chiffon Cake, Italian Rum Cake, Pound Cake drenched in Bailey's Irish Cream, Stawberry Shortcake, Red Velvet Cake, Coconut Creme with Pineapple, Peach/Mango Hazelnut pound cake.
  • Standard Butter Cream, Italian Butter Cream, Lemon Curd, Passion Fruit Preserves, Raspberry Preserves, Coffee Butter Cream, Hazelnut butter cream, Chocolate ganache, whipped chocolate cream, Peanut butter cream, 2 different versions of Bailey's Irish butter cream.
I think I got them all. the plates looked like this when she came out. Plus another tray full of fillings.



We ate to our hearts content. All of us really liked the Italian butter cream over the standard. Her plain poundcake was amazing and I felt it was a good base to go crazy with the flavors. Before we met, Stefanie and I had been emailing back and forth and I had asked if she could make cake or filling flavored with Bailey's Irish Cream. I thought it would be something special for Jon since he's Irish and we just went to Ireland. She went above and beyond and 2 different fillings and cake for us to try. The one version of the Irish Cream was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G everyone liked it a lot.

We started talking designs and my absolute favorite cake that I've seen is this.



I want to do flowers on top and maybe one large flower resting on the middle tier. She showed us books of these amazing sugar flowers and mentioned that they last forever and since we aren't saving our first tier for our anniversary, my mom thought maybe she makes them instead of using fresh flowers.I'm thinking 2 big pink hibiscus or peonies.





What we ultimately decided on was a 3 tier round cake 12" diameter x 5" high, 9" diameter x 5" high, 6" diameter x 5" high. This will serve 100 people then we'll have a separate sheet cake in the back that serves 50. We are doing different flavors for each tier of the cake. She can do the butter cream real smooth and most of the pearls will be piped and painted with a lustre, the larger ones will be made of fondant.

I made a diagram to show our flavors....



The top Tier was the very summery combination of pound cake coconut cream and pineapple chunks.
The 2nd Tier consists of the classic pound cake, raspberry preserves and Italian creme.
The 3rd Tier for my Irish Fiance, pound cake and bailey's irish cream.
For the sheet cake we decided to change it up and go with chololate chiffon cake and peanut butter cream filling with a chocolate ganache frosting.

Soooo excited! I was shocked that it didn't break the bank.

After we put the deposit down on the cake we headed to a little cafe for lunch. Olivia was so excited about going to the tasting and was brainstorming about what bakeries near her house she could be intern at.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment