2/2/10

DIY: Sophia's Pomander

Seriously... How cute are little girls carrying giant balls of flowers?




In our little rule book from the church it says we pretty much aren't allowed to throw anything - no flowers, no petals, no seeds, no rice. I gave this some thought and decided Sophia would be carrying a pomander or a ball of flowers. I priced this out with a florist and she came back with a price tag of $40... whoa hold the phone $40 are you kidding me for a styrofoam ball and some roses with a ribbon.

I knew what I had to do... DIY. Where I work we have hundreds of fabric flowers that we use on the dance costumes in every color of the rainbow. We also have tons of satin ribbon. I placed an order with one of our customer service people for about 40 flowers ranging in price from $0.20 - $0.78 each. I spent about $20. Then I went to Michael's and picked up a 7" styrofoam ball.


The look I'm going for

 

My Supplies
  • Hot glue gun and plenty of sticks
  • 7" styrofoam ball
  • 40 ish fabric flowers
  • 18" floral wire
  • Pearl Corsage Pins
  • Plyers/wire cutters
  • Not Shown: Ivory satin ribbon 1" wide
Step one: Fold 1 piece of floral wire in half leaving a loop at one end. Tape the 2 loose ends together



Step 2: Jam the wire through the middle of the ball straight through to the other side. Keeping the loop visable 

 

Step 3: Untape the other ends and bend them so they form a "T" Then hot glue to the ball.



Step 4: Start gluing flowers on to the ball I started at the top working my way around and down. I used a variety of different color and size flowers. Tip: if you are using a High Heat glue gun blow on the glue for a few seconds before attaching the flower to the styrofoam so it doesn't melt as much. Also hold in place 30-60 seconds until the glue cools a bit.

 

 

Step 5: When you have used all your flowers go into work and buy more..... then finish covering the ball with flowers

 

At this point the back of the ball was still a little naked
Step 6: Make a Bow and glue it on. Tie ribbon to the loop that was made with the floral wire. Add in pearl corsage pins where necessary for decoration or if any flowers are loose.

The finished product.


Plus it will last a lot longer then real flowers and I think it will be able to take the abuse of a 5 year old.

Total Time: 1 Hour
Total Cost: $30

No comments:

Post a Comment